Individuals that have suffered persecution or fear they will suffer persecution due to their race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion may be permitted to remain in the United States and apply for Asylum within one year from their arrival into the United States. The petitioner’s spouse and children, that are present in the United States, may be included in the application.  Petitioner’s children must be unmarried and under the age of 21.  Petition for one’s spouse or children must be filed within two years of the petitioner being granted asylum unless humanitarian reasons can be shown to excuse this deadline. 

You can apply for an employment authorization document (EAD) 180 days after your completed asylum application has been filed AND no decision has been made on your application.

One year after your asylum application has been approved you can apply for your green card.